Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Hoskinson's Sandpit: April 7

Bryant had a piano lesson in town today, so I got to go to Hoskinson's Sandpit for about an hour and a half this afternoon.  Over the past several weeks we have seen a gradual increase in Franklin's Gulls and a gradual decrease in Ring-billed and Herring.  Today they were almost all Franklin's with only about thirty Ring-bills and no Herrings.  As I sat there I saw a small bird swimming away.  I looked over and it was an Eared Grebe, I was pretty pleased because it was only the second time I had ever seen one in Reno county.  It was also a pretty good year bird.

Eared Grebe 
 I walked around the sandpit and got my first of season Cliff Swallow along with a fly-over Osprey.  I started walking back and saw a Swainson's Hawk, I saw a pointy winged raptor flying behind it.  I looked at it and was amazed to see a Peregrine Falcon, which is a good bird at this time of year.  Unfortunately it was too far off to get any pictures, but it was a very neat bird!  As I walked back to where I would wait for Bryant, I saw a large bird fly out of a tree.  It was a Black-crowned Night Heron!  It circled back around and came by me so I could get some okay pictures.

Black-crowned Night Heron
 I then sat down to check out the Franklin's Gulls again in hopes of finding a Bonaparte's Gull.  After a little bit I saw two gulls flapping around and identified them as Bonaparte's.  To top it all of I had two first of year Purple Martins fly over, giving me year bird #140 in Kansas.  It was a gorgeous day to be out, but it was a bit warm.

Bonaparte's Gull  (center)

No comments:

Post a Comment