Monday, January 11, 2016

2015 in review

     Well, as you all have probably figured out, 2015 is over.   At the beginning of 2015, Joseph and I decided to do a sort of Yard Big Year.  We took it fairly lightly, but I managed to finished to finish with 145 and Joseph got 123.  We also usually have a mini competition among us to see who can see the most species in Kansas and Reno county each year.  This year I finished with 269 in Kansas, Joseph with 254, and Bryant with 256.  In Reno, I had 230, Joseph had 212, and Bryant had 210.

     Here are some of our favorite photos from 2015.  We are birdwatchers, not bird photographers, so some of these are not necessarily first-class:)

Dickcissel: photo by Andrew

Vesper Sparrow: photo by Andrew

American White Pelican: photo by Andrew

Bonaparte's Gull: photo by Andrew

Herring Gull: photo by Andrew

Iceland Gull: photo by Andrew

Long-billed Curlew: photo by Andrew

Red-necked Phalarope: photo by Andrew

Le Conte's Sparrow: photo by Joseph

Pine Siskin: photo by Joseph 

Yellow-headed Blackbird: photo by Joseph

Hybrid Spotted x Eastern Towhee: photo by Joseph

Philadelphia Vireo: photo by Joseph

Cackling Goose: photo by Joseph 

White-rumped Sandpiper: photo by Joseph


I (Andrew)  have set a goal of 270 species in Kansas for next year.  This is a fairly modest goal for some birders, but I don't travel very far and wide to find birds usually.  I currently have 92, so I guess I still have a ways to go.

Andrew and Joseph


5 comments:

  1. Some nice captures! Forgive me if I asked this question before! :-) Are you Myron Miller's sons? I was chatting with Ken Beachy in Florida yesterday, and he thought you were! But he thought there were only two of you and not three! Either way, I love following your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Bryant and Andrew are Myron's sons, I'm Lowell Miller's son.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention that I am the oldest son of Eli C. and Fannie Jane Miller (Former Mary Miller's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved looking through these pictures. Andrew, these, at least, won't disappear if your disc ever "disintipates" inside the computer again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I was lucky to still have a good number left on Flickr!

    ReplyDelete