Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Cockfight!


I was surprised one morning last week when I noticed a pair of cock Ring-necked Pheasants viciously fighting in the field next to our house. I grabbed the camera and watched as they sparred rather violently for a few minutes.


Sadly, the distance was a little to far to get any good shots



Revolutionary new species of bird discovered in Kansas! Introducing the Two-tailed Pheasant, Phasinius duocaudatus.



I assume they had ulterior, lady-related, motives for the fight, although there were no hens to be seen in the area.


I've never seen behavior like this in pheasants before, although it is similar to displays in other grouse species, such as prairie chickens.

Joseph
 
Butterfly year list-4:(
Bird year list-98

1 comment:

  1. I watched two male house sparrows in an epic fight this morning, right outside my dining room. I can only imagine how interesting it would have been to watch such a fight with far larger and more colorful birds. There must be something in the air. . .

    ReplyDelete