Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Black-chinned Hummingbird

I had an interesting female Archilochus hummingbird start coming to my feeder about a week ago and since they are very tricky to identify, I asked hummingbird expert Sheri Williamson what she thought.  I was elated when she emailed back and said that it was a Black-chinned, since there are under twenty state records. (And nearly all of the other records have been from far western Kansas.)

Black-chinned Hummingbird (left)
Black-chinned Hummingbird.  Notice the "clubbed" look to the wing that separates it from the more common Ruby-throated.

Migration is finally starting to pick up again, and I am very ready for it!  I saw at least two, probably more, Alder Flycatchers near here the other morning.  I had never seen an Alder before this year, and now I have seen five!

Alder Flycatcher


Several weeks ago I saw this Oriole that definitely at least has some Bullock's influence.

Oriole

I have also managed to get a few butterfly pictures, although there haven't many around of late.

Delaware Skipper
Pearl Crescent
Southern Cloudywing


I'll finish with this Dickcissel picture.

Dickcissel

Andrew






No comments:

Post a Comment