Thursday, September 10, 2015

Long-tailed Skipper at the Dyck Arboretum!!!

Today I went to the Dyck Arboretum in Hesston to attend a plant sale with my aunt and sister. The first bird I saw was an Olive-sided Flycatcher perched in a dead tree right next to the path.


We had to wait a little while to get in, so I strolled around to look at some butterflies on some nearby blooming shrubs. There were dozens, if not hundreds, of Silver-spotted Skippers all over the bushes so I checked them carefully for something interesting. I glanced over at a Silver-spotted Skipper perched in front of me, "That's not a Silver-spotted Skipper, THAT'S A LONG-TAIL!"  Long-tailed Skippers are NOT expected in Kansas.


 I frantically snapped away for a couple minutes before it disappeared. Despite checking the bush several times throughout the afternoon I was unable to relocate it.


 According to BAMONA (Butterflies and Moths of North America Online) this is only the fourth state record!

Although I wasn't able to get a good photo of the upperside, you can see the characteristic greenish body here that separates it from other longtails
 



A bit later, while walking the trails, I came upon this Queen nectaring on some asters. Monarchs, at least, seem to be doing well at the arboretum, I found several caterpillars on a Tropical Milkweed plant.

It was a very satisfying afternoon to be out!

Joseph



No comments:

Post a Comment