Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Rufous Delight

I must admit I was a bit doubtful one evening last week when my sister hollered that there was a Rufous Hummingbird at the feeder, but a quick dive to the window confirmed her suspicions. It was indeed an immature male Rufous! I made another dive for the camera, but by the time I was back at the window it had left. I waited patiently and it soon appeared at our other feeder, where I was able to get some decent pics. Yes! A quality year-bird and only the second ever for my yard!


To be honest,  I couldn't confidently eliminate Allen's Hummingbird with these views, but with one previous state record what are the odds?


To my great surprise an adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird soon joined the Rufous. I have only had three or four Rubies at my feeder this fall so far, so this was a pleasant sight. It was also the first time I have ever had two species of hummers at once!


Andrew and Anthony soon showed up to see their third Reno Co hummer of the fall. (The third was Bryant and Andrew's Black-chinned a couple weeks ago). Luckily for them it was still sitting in the tree when they arrived. Surprisingly, the male Ruby right next to it didn't seem bothered by the Rufous casually sitting a few inches away. More typically, the adult male would have bullied the immature away from the feeder. Perhaps it was just too tired from a long flight. Who knows?

Joseph


No comments:

Post a Comment